TEMPORARY ASSISTANCE FOR NEEDY FAMILIES (TANF)
The Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) program is designed to help needy families achieve self-sufficiency. States receive block grants to design and operate programs that accomplish one of the purposes of the TANF program.
The four purposes of the TANF program are to:
- Provide assistance to needy families so that children can be cared for in their own homes
- Reduce the dependency of needy parents by promoting job preparation, work and marriage
- Prevent and reduce the incidence of out-of-wedlock pregnancies
- Encourage the formation and maintenance of two-parent families
To learn more about TANF, please visit https://www.acf.hhs.gov/ofa/programs/tanf/about.
Texas Criteria for TANF
The following eligibility criteria must be explored:
- Work Registration
- Social Security Number
Recipients must also cooperate with the Personal Responsibility Agreement (PRA). The PRA requires recipients to:
- cooperate with choices requirements
- cooperate with child support requirements
- agree not to voluntarily quit a job
- stay free of alcohol or drug abuse
- participate in parenting skills if referred
- obtain medical screenings for their children and
- ensure their children are immunized and attending school
To learn more about TANF qualifications in Texas, please visit https://www.benefits.gov/benefits/benefit-details/1679.
For application assistance via telephone, call:
For application assistance in person, visit:
NEW BRAUNFELS FOOD BANK
1620 S. Seguin Ave.
New Braunfels, TX 78130